Record of Employment ROE FAQs article

Record of Employment (ROE) FAQs

Understanding the Record of Employment (ROE) is essential for both employees and employers dealing with employment changes in Canada. The ROE is a critical document for applying for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits and more. To assist you with common concerns and questions, we have compiled a list of FAQs regarding the ROE. These questions cover a wide range of topics, from basic definitions and access methods to detailed explanations about codes and employer responsibilities. Whether you are applying for EI, need to issue or amend an ROE, or are looking for general information, this article aims to provide clear and helpful answers.

What Is the Canada Record of Employment?

It’s a document that employers in Canada must provide to employees who experience an interruption of earnings, detailing their work history and earnings. It’s used to determine eligibility for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits.

What Does a Record of Employment Look Like?

An ROE includes the employee’s personal information, the last day worked, reasons for leaving, total earnings, and hours worked, structured into various sections for clarity.

What Do the Codes on an ROE Mean?

The codes on an ROE are used to specify the reason for issuing the ROE. Each code has a specific meaning:

  • Code A – Shortage of Work / End of Contract or Season: Used when the employee is laid off due to a decrease in work or the end of a contract or season.
  • Code B – Strike or Lockout: Used in cases of labour disputes.
  • Code C – Return to School: Used when the employee has left work to return to school or further their education.
  • Code D – Illness or Injury: Used when the employee is unable to work due to illness or injury.
  • Code E – Quit: Used when the employee voluntarily leaves their job.
  • Code F – Maternity Leave: Used when the employee is leaving work due to pregnancy or childbirth.
  • Code G – Retirement: Used when the employee is retiring.
  • Code H – Work Sharing: Used when employees are participating in a work-sharing arrangement.
  • Code J – Apprenticeship Training: Used when the employee leaves to attend apprenticeship training.
  • Code K – Other: Used when none of the other codes accurately describe the reason for issuing the ROE.
  • Code L – Leave of Absence: Used when the employee is on a leave of absence.
  • Code M – Dismissal: Used when the employee is dismissed or terminated, but not for misconduct.
  • Code N – Leave for Illness or Injury in the Family: Used when the employee takes a leave due to illness or injury of a family member.
  • Code P – Parental Leave: Used for parental leave, including paternity leave.
  • Code Z – Compulsory Transfer or Military Service: Used for situations involving compulsory transfer or military service.

These codes are critical for determining an individual’s eligibility for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits, as they provide Service Canada with the context of the employment separation. Employers must choose the code that most accurately reflects the reason for the employee’s departure.

How Can I Access My Record of Employment?

You can view your ROE online through My Service Canada Account if it was submitted electronically or request a paper copy from your employer.

Where Can I Find My ROE?

ROEs submitted electronically can be found on your My Service Canada Account. Paper ROEs are given to you by your employer.

How Do I Get My ROE From Service Canada?

If you cannot obtain your ROE from your employer, you can request assistance from Service Canada, who can retrieve the electronic ROE or contact your employer on your behalf.

How Do Employers File an ROE Online?

Employers use Service Canada’s ROE Web portal to submit ROEs electronically. They need to register for the service and follow the instructions for submission.

When Should an ROE Be Issued?

Employers must issue an ROE within five days of the employee’s last day of work or the day the employer becomes aware of an interruption of earnings.

Can You Issue an ROE for an Active Employee?

Yes, if there’s an interruption in earnings (e.g., unpaid leave or layoff), even if the employee has not formally terminated their employment.

Can I Get an ROE While Still Working?

Yes, if you’ve experienced an interruption of earnings such as a temporary layoff, you can receive an ROE.

Can You Request an ROE at Any Time?

You should request an ROE from your employer if you’ve experienced an interruption of earnings, regardless of your current employment status.

Can You Apply for EI Without an ROE?

You can start your EI claim without an ROE but will need to explain your situation. Your EI claim will be processed once Service Canada receives your ROE.

What Should I Do If My Employer Is Not Issuing My ROE?

Contact your employer to request your ROE. If unsuccessful, reach out to Service Canada for assistance.

How Does the ROE Affect EI Claims?

The information on your ROE, such as reasons for leaving and earnings, is essential for determining your eligibility and calculating your EI benefits.

What Should I Do If There Is a Mistake on My ROE?

Inform your employer of the mistake. They can issue a corrected ROE electronically or provide a new paper ROE with the correct information.

How Do I Update My Personal Information on My ROE?

Contact your employer to correct any personal information errors on your ROE. If the ROE has already been submitted, your employer will need to issue a corrected version.

What Are the Responsibilities of Employers Regarding ROE Submission?

Employers are responsible for issuing an ROE promptly after an interruption of earnings, ensuring the information is accurate and complete, and submitting it to Service Canada electronically or providing a paper copy to the employee.

Need Guidance on ROE, Terminations, Dismissals, or Layoffs?

At Achkar Law, we excel in addressing the challenges and concerns associated with Records of Employment (ROE), terminations, dismissals, and layoffs. Whether you’re an employer aiming to comply with employment laws or an employee dealing with workplace changes, our team of experienced employment lawyers is ready to provide support and advice.

Facing these complex matters alone can be daunting. Contact Achkar Law today to schedule a consultation. Our knowledge and insight can safeguard your rights and interests, offering clarity and effective strategies during uncertain times. Allow us to guide you in making informed decisions and securing the best possible outcomes.

Start resolving your employment issues today. Get in touch with Achkar Law.

Call Toll-free: 1 (800) 771-7882  | Email: [email protected]

Need Clarity on Records of Employment and Employment Changes?

Records of Employment (ROEs) play a key role in documenting your work history, particularly during terminations, dismissals, leaves of absence, or layoffs. Grasping the details of your ROE and its impact on future employment and benefits can seem daunting. Whether you’re an employer handling these complex employment events or an employee requiring insight into your ROE, Achkar Law is here to provide comprehensive legal support. Our experienced team ensures you have the information and protection you need through these significant employment transitions.